Saturday, May 18, 2013

Fun with formation flight for a flyover

Plane: Cub, 65 hp 
Route: 40I, Local 
Weather: Scattered clouds, 76 degrees, wind 120 degrees at 8 knots

I woke up this morning to a text message from Jamie (CFI at Stewart) asking if I could help out this afternoon. They were doing a flyover for a memorial service and were short a pilot. I've done a little formation flight in the past but nothing to this degree, so I jumped at the opportunity!


Joe flew the Champ, Jamie flew the big Cub, and I flew the little one. We figured out the plan on the ground (Jamie would break off on the second pass as the missing man) and climbed into our taildraggers. We took off in quick succession and slowly converged as we flew south. By the time we made the final turn towards the memorial service, I was in tight on Joe's wing.

We got there right on time and made two passes, then headed back to Stewart. Jamie followed in trail and I remained on Joe's wing until he landed. Then I peeled off and quickly circled back to land number three behind Jamie. It was a really fun afternoon, adding another new thing to the aviatin' experiences list. Totally greased the landing, too!

Flight Track: Google Earth KMZ File 
Today's Flight: 0.6 hours
Total Time: 265.6 hours

1 comment:

  1. How fun! And what a wonderful way to honor someone's life!

    ReplyDelete