Friday, July 25, 2014

Quick flight before a flight

Plane: Cub, 85 hp 
Route: 40I, Local 
Weather: High overcast, 74 degrees, wind 300 degrees at 5 knots

This has been a bit of a down year for my flying. It's funny, really, in that it doesn't particularly feel like I haven't flown much. Then I look at my logbook (and see just under 10 hours) and the calendar (and see it's the end of July) and wonder where all the time has gone!

I was looking at said logbook the other day and realized that my tailwheel currency was about to expire. Occasional winter break aside, it's been years since that was a concern! Fortunately, I was able to take a few minutes (literally - only at Stewart can you get current in 0.3 on the Hobbs) this evening for some laps around the pattern.

Never a bad way to start a vacation

Gina and I are on our way to Washington, DC for a weekend getaway. So we swung by the airport for a brief Cub flight before heading to the other, slightly larger airport for a brief CRJ-900 flight to DCA. I knew I could quickly knock out three takeoffs and landings, thereby extending my currency for another 90 days.

I hopped in, Emerson gave me a prop, and I made a normal takeoff. The first landing was of the normal variety and quite smooth. Then I made a short field takeoff and came back around for a short field landing, dropping into a forward slip just as soon as I crossed the power lines at the end of the runway; I rolled out in under 500 feet. I made the final takeoff and returned with a power-off 180, touching down about 10 feet past my aiming point.

Landings (bottom to top) - short field, normal, power-off 180

All my takeoffs were just decent while the landings were quite good. That's a bit of a departure from the "good takeoffs and bad landings" situation many pilots often find themselves in, especially student pilots. I'll have to put an emphasis on takeoffs next time I hop in the Cub.

A little aviating is always good for the soul and tonight was no exception. Off to DC!

Flight Track: Google Earth KMZ File 
Today's Flight: 0.3 hours
Total Time: 309.8 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment