Saturday, August 2, 2014

Touch and go, then fly back home

Plane: Cessna 172
Route: MGY-40I
Weather: High overcast, 67 degrees, wind calm

Sometimes flights just aren't that interesting - but flying's still flying, which means it's beats most everything else one could be doing! That pretty much describes this morning. I had to return the plane to Stewart after yesterday's night currency flight and threw in a couple extra laps around the pattern for good measure.


Since I actually don't do touch and goes very often, I opted for two on my way out of Wright Brothers. Everything went smoothly and I was reminded why I always see students practicing them there - they sure save a lot of time over taxiing back for takeoff! Recall that I'm spoiled at Stewart; it's totally feasible to complete a full-stop trip around the pattern in 0.1 on the Hobbs.

I headed east and was soon entering an empty pattern. Crossing midfield I could still see some mist in the Little Miami River valley. I turned downwind and extended so I could practice a short field landing. By the time I was stabilized on final all 40 degrees of flaps were hanging in the wind and I was maintaining about 55 knots. Crossing the trees and power lines, I pulled the throttle to idle, touched down on the soft morning grass, and rolled out in about 1,000 feet.

Flight Track: Google Earth KMZ File 
Today's Flight: 0.5 hours
Total Time: 311.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment