Friday, March 19, 2010

First flight sans CFI in 4+ months (yes, really!)

Plane: Cessna 150
Route: 40I-I68-40I
Weather: Clear, 62 degrees, wind 230 degrees at 7 knots

Spring has officially arrived and I'm glad I had the chance to go up with Gina (she hadn't flown with me since our trip to Akron in October) this evening after work. While I've been working a ton - and have to work all weekend, ick - I was able to get out early enough to go fly for almost an hour tonight. Last time I flew the 150 was with Emerson back in January so I wanted to go knock off a few landings to maintain some semblance of currency. Winds were steady out of the West so I elected to head over to I68 and get in some crosswind practice.

Another short jaunt - from Stewart to Lebanon-Warren County

My first approach wasn't great and the winds were shifting all over the place on short final. About two feet over the runway I still wasn't tracking the centerline and I elected to go around to avoid touching down with a side load on the gear. I made two more trips around the pattern, taking on the roughly 45-degree right crosswind with mediocre results. Both landings were safe and I touched down with the nose pointed down the runway but they weren't exactly soft and comfy.

The sunlight was already fading so we made the 6 mile hop back to Stewart with a departure over downtown Lebanon. It was a pretty sight with all the lights turning on in the twilight. On final to Runway 26 it was obvious that I was high so I put in all 40 degrees of flaps and made a short field landing. We rolled off the runway about 600 feet after touchdown - nice! There was enough time for one final trip around the pattern; my last landing was the kind you like to end the day on with a gentle touchdown on the soft grass.

I'd love to be doing more than putzing around the local aerodromes right now, but I'm probably lucky to be able to fly enough to maintain my 90-day currency to fly solo at Stewart. Work is insanely busy as we gear up for a product release and major international trade show and that's sucking up plenty of time. Hopefully Gina and I will be able to embark on at least a couple solid cross-country adventures this spring and summer to visit our pilot friends!

Flight Track: Google Earth KMZ File
Today's Flight: 0.8 hours
Total Time: 143.6 hours

2 comments:

  1. every bit counts, especially when you're maintaining currency.

    one of these days I'll have to fly a Seminole up that way and get you some multi time man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, and thanks for the great offer. Let me know if you'll be in the area and I'll be there!

    ReplyDelete