Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Just me, the Piper, and the pattern

Plane: Cub, 65 hp 
Route: 40I, Local 
Weather: Clear, 89 degrees, wind 250 degrees at 9 knots

Every now and then (or, at least as of late, more often than not) it's fun to just go up for nothing other than practicing the basics. In the case of tonight, just some time in the pattern. We had semi-strong winds blowing at nearly 10 knots right down the runway. Perfect time to get in a little short-field practice and make sure I can still fly a rectangular pattern!

Two landings were power-off, hence the rounded downwind-to-final

I felt quite sharp tonight. After my first landing, which was still respectable, the next four were pretty dang awesome. I even made what was perhaps my best short-field landing ever, and definitely the best one I've made in a Cub. Flying final at about 50 MPH, I used a slip as soon as I passed over the power lines, could literally feel the lack of energy as I rounded out, touched down extremely softly, and was turning off before the second set of cones. That's about 400 feet, for those of you keeping track at home.

Also, I'm not sure why I always seem to log 0.7 when flying solo. The past three times I've flown sans passenger I've knocked precisely seven clicks off the good ol' Hobbs. Maybe that's the point at which I get sick of myself? ;-)

Flight Track: Google Earth KMZ File 
Today's Flight: 0.7 hours
Total Time: 220.6 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment