Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Adjusting my Weight & Balance - Month 7

Two years ago today, I married my wonderful bride. Gina still puts up with - and participates in, without too much chagrin - my love of flying. She's quite the keeper. Love you babe!

Two years ago today, I was married to another, much less positive data point - my weight. It was nearly 40 lbs more than my scale reported this morning. I'm happy to have left that behind.

I'm now down over 30 lbs since April and weigh <5 lbs more than my all-time low, which was back in the summer of 2005 when I interned in Texas. That summer, I basically did nothing but work out (and also was not yet a consumer of good beer and wine...) and came home in tip-top shape. The next seven years consisted of a gradual but steady increase until I got my ass back in gear this spring.

So it's been a success. I've even started running over the past month. And I hate running. Come to discover, however, that losing 40 lbs puts a bit less strain on your legs! Biking is mostly out of the equation for the next few months since it's dark by the time I get home from work. So that leaves running - which is surprisingly not a bad cardio option - for the time being.

I've achieved the goal of "an hour of fuel" in weight loss in multiple aircraft. I can honestly say I have now gained an hour's worth via increased payload in the Champ, Cub, and 150. Don't think I can - or should - lose another 10 lbs to add the 172 to the list, though!

There aren't too many other numbers to update since last month. I know my waist and body fat are slightly smaller/less but I honestly haven't measured them in a while. It's an extremely hectic month between work, homework, and travel/holidays so that will have to wait a little longer.

As for flying, the aforementioned full plate hasn't left much time for airplanes. Plus we've reached the annual few months of long nights and short days; unless I leave work early or take a vacation day, weekends are really the only time I can fly. So it might be a little while before I make it down to Stewart again. Still, I'm hoping to hit 300 hours by December 31st...

P.S. For those of you who like to pick nits, yes, I realize my all-time low was many, many years ago. But I'm just counting my adult life, not my hefty <6 lbs at birth. ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Your my hero! Now if I can learn anything from your weight loss in order to get me moving would be great. After reading the "fatty" posts on AOPA and POA I think its serious time that I get to shedding poundage. Getting back on the stationary bike and cutting out many carbs that I just don't need but love.

    CONGRATS to you and Gina on your two year anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir!

      Slow and steady really has worked wonders, coupled with awareness. As I posted earlier this year, just tracking what I eat and when I exercise has made all the difference. I've only been working out 1-2 times/week on average. Definitely not an all-in, crazy schedule by any means!

      Delete
    2. Steve,
      Congratulations! That is a serious accomplishment! I'm trying to keep watch of my weight (something that is easier said than done during the Holidays!), especially so I can keep flying our club 150 as long as possible. That, and I remember what it was like being an overweight teenager, and I don't want to go back to that. Keep up the good work!

      Also, it can't be overstated how much easier it is to fly, when your spouse/S.O. is on board with your flying. My wife is the same way. You are a fortunate man!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Brandon.

      I agree, we're very lucky!

      Delete